Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Flowers

A quick post of the other mini project I did. I bought these at an antique store and I loved them, the flowers were the perfect shade of gray blue like my room and I just thought they were the coolest things ever. Then I brought them home and my Marine took one look at them and announced that I was turning into a grandma.
WHAAA?! Awww... I love them! Ok I was not totally in love with the gold tone stems but...


  I seriously thought they were cool, the roses are porcelain.  For 12 bucks for the set of three I couldn't pass them up.
Forgive my messy table, this is another project I have to do, When I started and realized it was particle board and not real wood I decided to go another route, and for now it's been my crafting 'I don't care what gets on it' table. I decided to changed the stem up since I wasn't crazy about the gold and hubby called me a grandma I thought it might help take some of that vibe away. I had some silver rub and buff so I figured I'd use that. I started out with my finger but it wasn't the best way to do it for this project. I wasn't thrilled with the solid silver, the one thing I really liked about the original gold was the distressed quality it had. I let some of the gold shine through I actually liked the look it gave it. I grabbed a paint brush and some acrylic paynes gray and got to work.

I really liked the lighting in this picture lol

 I mixed the two and it gave it a steely blue quality that I really liked. I brushed some gray into the areas I wanted to shadow/distress. Again my pictures suck I need to work on that.



You can see it a little better in this picture, on the ball at the end and in the leaves, I went really lightly with the shadowing detail once I got the silver the color I liked. I kind of stippled the gray onto the ball and the stem and then dry brushed back and fourth to blend. It was a small project but still I enjoyed it and wanted to share. My Marine said they looked better this way. I only hung the big one up so far, near my bed for my bathrobe, I am not sure where I want the other two to go yet. I think they may end up near the vanity but I'll have a better idea once my room gets a little more settled. What do you think, are they grammy? Was silver the way to go or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment