Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Vanity

Oh I am so excited! I have gotten so much done, I'm going to split the projects up into different posts. This is me on a binge of projects.
I was going to post the piano but I used danish oil and I have to wait another day to put the wax on so I'm going to hold out for some finished pics, Plus I am just dying to show off my vanity.

Both refinishing projects have been easy quick ones. I know at some point they may need an all out sand and complete new finish but both were in pretty good shape and I liked the natural dings and dents from years of love and use, also I am avoiding sanding at all costs because I have no where to do it and I don't want the mess in my house.

The vanity was a gift from my Marine and my sister. It is from the 1920's and it was owned by one family. They sold it to my sister because they were moving out of state and didn't think she'd survive the move. I'm so glad they did because I am soooo in love.

First up the stool, I wish I had gotten a view of the top and back because they were rough, the finish actually looks ok in this picture ( I have no patience for picture taking)
I was actually surprised the Restor a Finish blended really well. I honestly thought it was too far gone for it to work there was so much color loss. I thought I might have to use a polyshade but I was glad I didn't. This will need a total refinish but not for a while. I kind of hack recovered it, I couldn't find the staples I know I have for my gun and I gave up looking. Eventually I want to put some actual cushion in this but again I just wanted it better for now.

Ta da!!

Look at her!! So much better. I love the flower detailing on the chair, oh my!

So the vanity itself is holding up really well, and no way do I want to mess with the original finish on this piece. The top has some spots but it's in beautiful shape, all I really did was shine it up with some restor a finish.  But I really want to post pictures of it.

This is before, the drawer was in the wrong place, see if you can spot it!
As you can see the finish is good, you can barely tell in the pictures how much the Restor a Finish really did, you'll just have to trust me. If you have a piece that is overall pretty good just scratched or fading this is totally the way to go, no sanding and you can use it almost immediately. Restor a Finish is a wipe on wipe off product, I suggest using a lint free cloth (like an old white tee) I followed it up with Howard,s feed and wax which again you wipe on, let it set for about 30 minutes and buff it out.


Top view before:


This is after, you can still see the spots but again I wasn't going for perfect here and it's in excellent vintage condition, nothing like the buffet table.



But she is soooo beautiful!! I can't wait to actually use her! YaY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment